Grow your business and support international markets in any language with eDesk’s Auto-translation feature.
This help file will explain in detail how the Auto-Translation feature works and how it can help you supercharge your customer service.
Before you start
- You’ll need to be on the eDesk Professional or Enterprise plan to access this feature. To find out more information, click here.
01 What is Auto-translation?
Do you want to support your customers in multiple languages but you’re limited by the number of languages you speak? You can set up eDesk to automatically translate your customer’s messages into a language you can understand, and automatically translate your own responses into the language they understand.
You always have the opportunity to view the translated response before you send it and decide whether or not to use it. You can also instruct eDesk to not offer auto-translation for messages and responses in certain languages, for example, if you speak French and English, then ask eDesk not to auto-translate your messages and responses in these languages.
02 How to set it up?
These auto-translation settings apply to your own eDesk account only, so that you and your teammates can each configure eDesk to meet your individual language requirements.
- First, we’ll set up your preferred language. This is the language that eDesk will translate your messages into by default; usually, people select their native language. Go to Settings → My Account → General tab.
- In the Preferred language field, select the language. You can select one preferred language only.
- If you speak multiple languages, go to Mailbox tab → Languages I understand, and select one or more languages. Messages that are in these languages won’t be auto-translated.
- Hit Save changes. You’re all set up! Now let’s take a look at how auto-translation works.
03 Auto-translation in action
Once you’ve set up auto-translation, you’ll see that the customer messages in your Mailbox are tagged to show the original language. You can move your cursor over the tag to see a tooltip that further explains the language used.
When you open the message, it is auto-translated into your preferred language. In the example below, the original message was in French, and eDesk auto-translated it to English. You can toggle between viewing the auto-translated message and the original message in French by clicking the Globe icon.
Write your reply as normal in your Preferred Language. When you hit Send, a popup opens that shows your response auto-translated into the customer’s language and asks if you want to use this automated translation. Click Yes to send the auto-translated response or No, thanks to send your original response.
To find out more about gathering feedback from your customers with a Customer Satisfaction Survey, click here.
Interesting in learning how to auto-assign tickets to agents based on language? Click here.