This help file will guide you through how to automate your workflow and keep your inbox tidy by creating Message Rules that will automatically trigger actions on your eDesk tickets.
Before you start
- You’ll need to have access to Message Rules in your Settings in order to view, create and edit rules. If you don’t have access, you can request it from an Admin user within your business.
- You’ll need to be on the eDesk Team, Professional or Enterprise plan to access this feature. To find out more information, click here.
Want to take a tour?
Click here to take an in-App tour and create a Message Rule in eDesk!
01 What is a Message Rule?
Message Rules in eDesk trigger automatic actions that are applied to a ticket based on the unique characteristics that you choose.
In actual words, you can think about them as if-then instructions that you're giving eDesk:
If [condition] then [perform this action] on the ticket.
The options are many, and the Message Rules can be personalized to suit your business.
Note: the Message rules will trigger based on message actions and not because of the ticket state.
02 How do I add a Message Rule in eDesk?
Go to Settings → Smart Tools → Message Rules, and click + Add Message Rule to add a new rule from scratch.
Click the three dots beside + Add Rule and select Create Rules from our Samples to choose some of our pre-designed Message Rules.
Need help understanding some Message Rule terms? Skip ahead to the Glossary
There are endless ways to level up your inbox efficiency with Message Rules once you get the hang of it.
Some customers use Message Rules to automatically apply tags to tickets, or assign them directly to agents based on a variety of conditions (what marketplace the ticket comes from or what the associated product/customer/order value is).
Here are a few examples of how real businesses use Message Rules on eDesk:
- Tag tickets based on the marketplace: Use a Message Rule to automatically tag all tickets that come through Amazon, so that you can find them all in one place in your eDesk account.
Note: You would need to create personalized tags in eDesk to achieve this, click here to find out how.
- Auto-assign tickets based on the language used: If you sell on international marketplaces, use a Rule in eDesk to automatically assign any ticket in a foreign language to my multilingual support agents, so they can help these customers in their native language.
Steps to follow to apply it in eDesk:
- Create a Message Rule named ‘Auto-assign to French Support Team’
- In the Conditions section specify that any ticket whose language is in French should trigger the Rule to apply:
- In the Actions section, you can then assign the ticket owner to be your ‘French Support Team’.
And that’s it! From now on, every ticket in French would be automatically assigned to the French Support Team so they can help your customers in their native language.
- Automatically close ‘Out of Office’ replies: If you receive multiple ‘Out of office’ tickets each day and they always end up cluttering your mailbox, set up a Message Rule to automatically Resolve any ticket that has ‘Out of Office’ in its subject in my eDesk account.
- Automatically flag VIP clients and assign them to a Team Leader: Set up eDesk to automatically flag all tickets related to an order > £500 with a ‘VIP’ tag so they’re easier to spot. You could also decide to automatically assign these ‘high value’ tickets to your Team Leaders, using a Rule.
04 Other customers use rules to assign incoming tickets evenly between customer service members in a ‘round robin’ format.
- Auto-assign tickets across all members of the Support Team: Set up a Message Rule to evenly auto-assign new tickets to all my staff. That way the workload is shared equally between them and they can focus on what they do best: assisting clients. To find out more about Round Robin and how to set it up, click here.
Automatically tagging messages as they come into your mailbox is a great way to keep your workflow organized and all the examples above show you just how powerful the Message Rules are in eDesk.
- Name: Give the Message Rule a name. This is to reference the rule when it is applied in your account.
Pro Tip: Describe the conditions that trigger your Message Rule in the title, like ‘Auto-assign to French Support Team’ for instance. That way, other members of your team will understand what it does just by looking at it.
- Active: Tick to activate/deactivate the Message Rule.
- Stop processing further rules if conditions are matched: If ticked no further Message Rules in the sequence will be processed once this one is applied.
- Do not show 'Rule matched' note in ticket thread: A log will not be made when this Message Rule has applied to your ticket.
- Only use once per ticket: When a ticket matches the rule, the same Message Rule will not be applied again.
Select the conditions that need to apply to trigger your Message Rule.
Note: all AND conditions must be met to trigger the Rule whereas with OR conditions, only one of them must apply.
Pro Tip: To have more precise and effective Message Rules in eDesk, we recommend using a combination of both AND & OR conditions.
Configure and select the action taken when the Rule has been matched:
- Assigning to tags: Select the tag to be automatically assigned by the Message Rule.
Note: To find out how to create personalized tags in eDesk, click here.
- Tag Assignation mode: If you have chosen folders above you can choose to assign to all of the folders you have selected or in a ‘round robin’ format where it will select one folder at a time in the sequence each time this Message Rule is matched. To find out more about the round robin format, click here.
- Assign ticket owner: Select the user to be automatically assigned as the owner.
- Mention users: Select a user to be mentioned on the ticket.
- Mention user mode: If you have chosen agents above you can choose to assign to all of your agents you have selected or in a ‘round robin’ format where it will select one agent at a time in the sequence each time this Rule is matched.
- Change Ticket Status: Select this option, if you would like the ticket status to change once the Rule has been applied.
- Webhook URL: This allows you to send a notification to a URL once the Rule has been applied.
- Bind an Autoresponder: Select the Rule-Only template to be sent when using the Message Rule.
Note: To find out how to create auto-replies in eDesk, click here.
The options are many, and rules can be personalized to suit your business.
If you would like to find out more about creating personalized tags in eDesk, click here.
If you would be interested in learning how to set up Auto-Replies in your account, click here.