All of your eDesk teammates have a user role associated with their account, giving them access to different tools in eDesk.
It’s easy to adjust these roles within eDesk, and we offer both standard roles, which you can use out-of-the-box, and custom roles, which you can fit your team’s needs.
This help file will guide you through creating custom roles to give your teammates customized access to the tools they need.
Before you start
- You’ll need an Admin login to eDesk. If you don’t have an Admin login, you can request one from an Admin user within your business.
- You’ll need to be on the eDesk Professional or Enterprise plan to access custom roles. To find out more information, click here.
With eDesk, it’s simple to create new custom roles with your chosen conditions and assign them to teammates. Custom roles are reusable, so it’s easy to manage and assign your team’s permissions at scale.
There are 2 ways to create a new custom role:
- Create a new custom role by clicking the + Add Role button on the Roles page.
- Create a copy of any existing role and update the name, parent role, and permissions to create the new custom role. You can copy standard roles or custom roles you’ve already created.
1. Creating a new custom role
- In the General section, click the Parent Role field to show a dropdown listing the Standard roles. Select a Standard role from the list.
Pro-tip: The Parent Role field is made for situations in which you want to create a new Custom Role, but also want this new role to have existing message rules applied to it. For example, if creating a new custom role, but have a Message Rule that you want to apply to this custom role, let's say one that sends all Amazon tickets to users that have the Agent role, then you can select Agent as the Parent Role.
- Enter the role name in the Role Name field.
Pro-tip: Create a unique name, so it’s easier to identify a role in the Custom roles.
- In the Permissions section, click the checkbox for each permission to add it to the role. To learn about what each permission enables for a user, click here.
- Click Save Changes to save the new role.
You can click Add a new one to create another custom role.
- Click Roles on the breadcrumb menu at the top of the page to go to the custom roles page. The Custom Roles tab is displayed with the new role in the listing.
2. Creating a Custom role from a copy
Step 1: Copy an existing role
- Click the 3 dots at the end of the row for the role you want to copy. A menu is displayed listing the possible actions.
- Click Copy Role and then click Yes to confirm.
The Role Information page for the new role is displayed with the Role details.
- The settings in the Role Details tab are the same as those in the copied role.
Step 2: Configure the new role
- Configure the new role:
If the new copy was created from a Standard role, the name of the copied role is in the Parent Role field. For example, Agent. To change the parent role, click the Parent Role field and select another parent role from the menu.
Name your new role.
You can select or deselect any of the role permissions by clicking the checkboxes. Click here to learn about what each permission enables for a user.
- Click Save changes.
- To see the new role in the list of roles, click Roles in the breadcrumb menu at the top of the page. The Custom Roles tab is displayed with the new role in the listing.