Email forwarding is the most straightforward eDesk receiving mode and will allow you to automatically forward emails to your eDesk account. In this guide we will look at forwarding through Gmail.
Before you start
- You’ll need an Admin login to eDesk. If you don’t have an Admin login, you can request one from an Admin user within your business.
- You'll need a Gmail account. To find out how to create one, click here.
01 Adding a Forwarding address1. Log into your Gmail account.
2. Select the Settings cogwheel on the top right-hand side of the screen.
3. After that select the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab and Add a forwarding address.
4. Paste the forwarding address into the field.
5. Click Add → Proceed
6. You will then see another pop up stating 'A confirmation code has been sent to firstname.lastname@example.org to verify permission'
7. If you have added an eDesk address, you will receive an email from Google in eDesk with a confirmation code.
8. Copy the confirmation code and paste it into the highlighted field in Gmail.
9. Once this is done, select to 'Forward a copy of incoming mail to' and select the address from the dropdown.
10. There is also an option to select what happens the ticket inside Gmail after it has been forwarded to the address.
Note: If you have one generic email address for all messages and don't want every single message to forward to eDesk, you can set up Filters inside Gmail.
02 Creating a Filter
1. Select the Settings cogwheel on the top right-hand side of the screen.
2. After that select the Filters and Blocked Addresses tab and Create a new filter.
3. Enter the details of the emails you would like to 'catch'
4. In the above example: any email that has @shopify.com in the From address AND has the word 'Order' in the subject will match your filter
5. Click Create filter.
6. A pop-up will appear to select what happens to the messages that match the filter.
This will allow you to forward only certain messages to eDesk.
Note: if you're experiencing issues with Gmail forwarding at any stage, you can consult this Troubleshooting help guide.