Connecting Outlook to eDesk couldn't be easier. In this guide, we will look at how to connect your Outlook account in eDesk super quickly using Microsoft OAuth.
Before you start
- You’ll need an Admin login to eDesk. If you don’t have an Admin login, you can request one from an Admin user within your business.
- You'll need an Outlook account. To find out how to create one, click here.
01 Connecting Outlook1. Go to the App store, select Support Email & Comms from the left-hand menu, and then select the Outlook tile.
2. Select Install App on the right-hand side to start the integration.
3. Select Authorize eDesk.
You’ll see the screen below asking you to grant eDesk permissions. Simply follow the instructions on screen to continue.
4. Once completed, eDesk will open again to display this page:
Select one of the following options:
Select this if you want to see all emails from this email address in your eDesk Mailbox.
- I’m using folders
Select this if you want your eDesk Mailbox to show only the emails in a specific Outlook folder.
This will open a page that allows you to select the Outlook folder that eDesk will pull emails from.
Note: The Outlook folder must already exist. Please see the next section of this help file for further information about Outlook folders.
- I’m using a shared mailbox
Select this if you want to see emails from multiple email addresses in your eDesk Mailbox.
This will open a page that allows you to select up to 10 email addresses and for each email address, an Outlook folder that eDesk will pull the emails from.
02 All about Outlook FoldersSome businesses set up dedicated folders in their Outlook for each of their sales channels. For example, Joe's Bikes Ltd might sell through Walmart and Magento and when emails for Walmart and Magento come in to their Outlook, the emails are automatically put into a Walmart folder and a Magento folder respectively.
If your business uses Outlook folders, then see here for instructions on setting up your eDesk to use them. These instructions also explain how to add a second Outlook folder to an existing Outlook channel in eDesk.
03 Decide when you want to mark Outlook messages as ReadWhen you're managing Outlook emails from eDesk, it might be helpful to customize when the email is being marked as "read" in Outlook so you can manage them more efficiently.
You can customize that in eDesk by following these simple steps:
- Go to Settings --> Mailbox Settings --> Channels.
- Select the Outlook channel you want to customize this for and click on the Mailbox tab.
- Scroll down to Mark Outlook messages as read when and click on the drop down to populate the following settings:
- Pulled into eDesk: Outlook emails will be marked as read as soon as they are pulled into eDesk through the API.
- Opened in eDesk: Outlook emails will be marked as read when they are opened in eDesk.
- Replied to in eDesk: Outlook emails will be marked as read when they are replied to in eDesk.
To learn how to pull emails via Microsoft Outlook API, follow the steps in this article.