Important: Please read the following information to ensure your buyer-seller messages are compliant with announced updates to the Amazon Communication Guidelines which include changes to the Buyer-Seller Messaging policy. Failure to comply with these new guidelines by the deadline of November 3, 2020, could result in a 30-day or lifetime restriction on your ability to send Buyer-Seller messages.
What do I need to do?
We strongly recommend that all customers who use eDesk Feedback to send proactive messages to Amazon customers read and understand the information below and then:
- Review your feedback messages to ensure compliance
- Consider using one of the eDesk feedback templates which have been updated to help you comply quickly
- If you’re using customized messages that you’ve written previously, it’s essential to review and update them.
- Include Order ID in all messages. While our eDesk feedback templates have been updated to include the Order ID in the subject line and at the top of messages sent to buyers, you should review any custom messages to place the Order ID in them—use the #order_id# tag.
- Send messages in the customer’s preferred language. eDesk has the ability to detect a customer’s preferred language setting within their Amazon account and to detect the language of your template in your Feedback account. Please note: eDesk Feedback will not translate your messages. To limit messages not sending, please use the updated templates to match the language of the Amazon marketplace.
Do not include any of the following:
- Message margins over 20% maximum width
- Image or graphic sizes larger than 80% maximum width
- Overrides of Amazon’s default line height, font family, or font color
- Fonts in more than three sizes
- Message bodies that are centered or otherwise override default text alignment settings
- More than two line-breaks (spacing between paragraphs) in a row
- Unsecure images (http instead of https)
You won’t be permitted to send standalone messages or include the following in other messages:
- Order confirmations and product images
- Shipping confirmations
- Thank You messages
- Contact us if you have a problem messages
- Promotional messages including coupons
- Promotions for additional products
- Referrals to any 3rd party products
- Repeat requests for product reviews
- External links (unless necessary for order completion)
- Attachments (except for instructions, invoices or warranty information)
- Logos displaying your web address
- Email addresses and telephone numbers
- Sensitive content (violence, bare skin, gore, adult and offensive language)
- Language that incentivizes buyers to leave a review (a free gift, discount, compensation)
- Links to opt-out of messaging
- Tracking pixels and images
- Provide instructions or guidelines when requesting reviews
What happens if I don’t comply with the updates?
Sellers found violating the rules, will have restrictions applied to their accounts, such as temporary restriction on sending proactive messages. However, this restriction could become permanent if sellers persist. Amazon will also block messages that don’t comply, something which could result in the suspension of selling privileges.
You will know if your messages have been blocked due to restrictions from Amazon by going to Seller Central → Messaging and opening a recently sent message. If you have been restricted, there will be the following text at the bottom of the message:
“This message was not delivered because your account was temporarily restricted from sending proactive messages. For more information please check the email inbox associated with your account for a detailed error notification.”
What should I do if I have been suspended?
If you see this message, please review Amazon’s policy and update your templates accordingly. We would also recommend pausing your Feedback messages until you have resolved this issue. To do this, please go to your Feedback Rules > Select Amazon rule → Toggle Inactive → Save Changes.
Once you have identified and amended your templates, or if you feel as though you did not violate the terms, we would recommend contacting Amazon for a resolution.
See further information on Amazon's terms of service regarding buyer-seller messaging here.
Need to make changes to your Feedback rules and message? Learn how to here