Integrating WhatsApp with eDesk will revolutionize the way your team handles support. By having two way communication via WhatsApp with your customers, you effortlessly provide convenience, reliability and familiarity with a platform most people use on a daily basis.
This help file will guide you through all the steps to connect WhatsApp with eDesk using number porting.
Before you start
- You’ll need an Admin login to eDesk. If you don’t have an Admin login, you can request one from an Admin user within your business.
- You need to familiarize yourself with the requirements to onboard WhatsApp with eDesk. To find out more, click here.
- If you’re currently NOT using other Business Service Providers (BSP) like Zendesk, Message Bird etc, please refer to the Regular Onboarding help file.
This help file was first published on 360dialog’s website.
01 What is Number Porting?
Number Porting means that a phone number that is already registered in the WhatsApp Business API can be moved between WhatsApp Business API accounts. This allows for businesses to change BSPs (Business Solution Provider) or move their number to a new account, but only if the source and destination Business Manager IDs are the same.
After being migrated, a phone number keeps its display name, quality rating, messaging limits, Official Business Account status, and any high-quality message templates previously approved.
02 Requirements for Number Porting
These are the requirements for your phone number to be ported to 360dialog:
You must be able to receive and verify a 6 Digit PIN Code through SMS or Voice Call.
The WhatsApp Business Account connected to the number to be ported must be verified by Meta. Accounts in Sandbox mode cannot be ported.
Two-Factor Verification must be disabled for the number
Note: You need to request the old BSP to disable Two-Factor Verification (2FA). The 2FA can and should be disabled without also disabling the account.
Meta rules state that the BSP cannot delay or difficult the disablement of 2FA or the porting process at all. If something similar happens, please report to us.
Admin Access to Business Manager:
- Meta Business ID of the number to be ported.
- Admin access is required to accept the Message-on-Behalf request.
03 Checklist before you start Number Porting
Before migrating a number, it's important to go through the following checklist:
- Valid Meta Business ID You can find your FB_ID by following these steps. The FB_ID must be associated with (own) the WhatsApp Account > Number that you are trying to migrate. An overview of the ownership model can be found here.
- Admin Access to Meta Business Manager You must have Admin access to the FBM Account.
- Meta Business Manager is verified Your Meta Business Manager must be fully verified.
- Phone number access You must have access to the phone number to receive a 6 Digit PIN Code via SMS or Phone Call.
- 2FA Disabled You must check and confirm with your old BSP that Two-Factor Verification (2FA) is disabled on the existing WhatsApp Business API Client.
- Number is not registered for WhatsApp Cloud API At present, we do not support porting from the WA Cloud API. You can identify a number using the Cloud API by opening the number in WhatsApp Web. Cloud API numbers have the message "this business uses a secure messaging service from Meta".
- Business website is live Make sure that the website listed in Meta Business Manager > Business Info.
04 Porting a number if you already have a 360dialog account
Please refer to the instructions here.
05 Porting a number if you don’t have a 360dialog account
Please refer to the instructions here.
06 Start the Number Porting process
After you have submitted the initial information either through your 360 Client Hub or through a Solution Partner Number Porting Form, you will start the number porting process that is detailed below.
After finishing the setup in step 3, the migration is automatic and immediate.
- Accept Message on Behalf request in Business Manager
You will need to accept the Message on Behalf request of 360dialog. You must have admin access to the Business Manager to see and accept the request.
- Number Registration
You must have access to the phone number to verify the ownership and receive a 6 Digit PIN Code per SMS or Voice Call.
If you do not receive the PIN code in 1 hour after triggering it, please file a support ticket.
- Wait for setup
You need to wait for the number to be set up. This step takes a few minutes, but right afterwards the API key generation will be possible.
If your page does not change after more than 1 hour, please file a support ticket.
- Generate API key
After the phone number is migrated and set up, you will be able to generate the API key and send messages with the number migrated to 360dialog. To find out more about this, click here.
Please note the difference between:
Phone Number: the number used in the account; the number which customers send messages to
WABA ID: the ID of the WhatsApp Business API account
Meta Business Manager ID: the ID of the Business account that owns this number
In this process, the Phone Number is migrated from one WABA ID to another. The Facebook ID needs to be the same.
07 Number Porting Troubleshooting
During the migration process, a few errors might occur. Here is an article to show you how to fix them.
If you would like to find out how to use WhatsApp templates, click here.
If you would be interested in learning more about the requirements to connect WhatsApp with eDesk, click here.