How to change and manage ticket statuses in eDesk
Tickets have different statuses through their journey from new to resolved, each helping you to keep your mailbox organized. There are multiple ways, both manual and automated, to change a ticket's status in eDesk.
Change a message's status by replying to it
By default, replying to a ticket will automatically close it in eDesk.
Sometimes you may not want this to happen because you know further action will be required to solve the ticket later or because of the way you want to report on closing tickets. If this is the case, you can easily stop tickets from closing automatically.
How to stop tickets from closing automatically when you reply to them.
Uncheck the Close ticket checkbox in the reply box. This will result in the ticket going to the Waiting category on your left-hand navigation bar.
Change a message's status manually
How to manually close tickets
- Click into the ticket
- Click on the status dropdown
- Select the new status that you want to change to
To help understand these statuses keep in mind that tickets (customer messages) are not always solved with a single response.
The eDesk ticket statuses are:
- New Tickets contains new tickets that you’ve never responded to before and that require action.
- To-do contains tickets that require action. These include new tickets and tickets that you’ve responded to but need further follow-up action.
- Waiting contains tickets that have been actioned but aren’t ready to be closed. Use the waiting status if you know the ticket isn’t going to be resolved when you reply. When you send a message in eDesk it’s usually closed by default. However, if you uncheck the Close ticket checkbox in the reply box then the ticket will go to Waiting.
- Snoozed contains tickets that have been temporarily removed from New and/or To Do categories to reopen at a specified time. When the snooze time has elapsed, the ticket will return to where it originated. Read about how to snooze tickets.
- Resolved contains closed tickets. Tickets in the resolved category will reopen if the customer responds to you or sends another email.
- Recently Updated contains tickets that have been changed recently i.e. the customer sent a new mail, a note was added or the status was changed.
Change a message's status automatically
Use message rules to tell eDesk to automatically close certain tickets based on the conditions you decide.
The easiest way to think about rules in words is...If [condition] then [assign to teammate x]You can read more about rules here or try rules out for yourself here.