Create, manage, and assign roles to help give your team access to the tools they need and to keep your workspace secure.
All of your eDesk teammates have a user role associated with their account, giving them access to different tools in eDesk. It’s easy to adjust these roles within eDesk, and we offer both standard roles, which you can use out-of-the-box, and custom roles, which you can fit to your team’s needs.
Note: Custom roles are only available on the professional and enterprise packs. Click here to find out more about pricing
- Using Standard roles
- Creating Custom roles
- Viewing your team’s roles and permissions
- Adding, updating or removing a teammate’s user role
01 Using Standard roles
Standard roles have preset permissions that can be assigned to team members. You can view the standard roles in the Settings → Company Settings → Roles.
Note: By default, the account creator is given an Owner role (defined below). When you invite teammates to your account, you’ll be able to choose what roles to give them.
Below we list the Standard roles, with a summary of the permissions for each role.
This role gives the user access to their own Mailbox only. They can view and respond to customer messages.
A role designed for Support Agents. It gives the user limited access to the Dashboard in eDesk, which includes a number of Mailbox views. Teammates can see tickets that are assigned to them and to others in their team. They can view Sales orders and use Chat to talk to customers. They also have access to the Knowledge Base.
- Team Leader A role designed for the Customer Support Managers that manage a team of Support Agents. It allows the Managers to configure the Smart Tools that they need to update frequently, for example, Message rules, Message templates, Tags, AI Settings and Company Snippets. It gives access to all Mailbox views for themselves and their team, as well as Chat and the Knowledge Base. It does not give access to the Orders dashboard or to the Smart Tools for Feedback rules, Custom fields, Widgets, and Invoice templates.
An administrator role that can see every screen and perform every task in eDesk except make payments. This role enables teammates to fully configure eDesk to best serve their business, for example, set up VAT, Time Zone, Country, Company signature, Business hours etc. They can also manage the roles assigned to teammates within the business.
Only one team member has the Owner role in your business, and their role can’t be changed. It’s a ‘superuser’ role that has the same permissions as an Admin but they can also make payments. This role can’t be edited in eDesk and can’t be assigned to any other teammates.
02 Creating Custom roles
It’s easy to create custom roles to give your teammates customized access to the tools they need.
Click here to learn how to set up Custom roles or continue reading to learn how to view your team’s permissions, and assign and unassign roles to users.
03 Viewing your team’s roles and permissions
To view the permissions for a role, click the role you’d like to view. The Role Information page is displayed, with the Role Details tab shown by default. The checkboxes indicate which permissions are enabled for the role. If you’re viewing a Custom Role this will be editable, while for Standard roles this is a read-only page. Click here to learn about what each permission enables for a user.
Pro Tip: If you’re on the Professional or Enterprise pack you can clone any of the above roles and then edit it to make your own custom role. Click here to read more about custom roles
04 Adding, updating, or removing a teammate’s user role
Removing a role from a user reverts them to the Basic role. Any changes to a user’s role will come into effect immediately.
There are two ways to add or remove a user’s role account. You can either:
- Look up a user and add/remove their role.
- Look up a role and associate/disassociate one or more users from the role.
Pro Tip: If you’re want to change many roles at the same time, use the second approach.
05 Looking up a user to add or remove a role
First, go to Settings → Company Settings → Users. This will show you a list of your active users.
- Click on the user that you want to view.
The User page is displayed, with the General tab shown by default.
- Click Permissions.
This will show you the current permissions the user has.
- Click the Role field.
A menu listing all the available roles is displayed.
To remove the role from the teammate’s account, select No role from the menu. This will give the teammate the same permissions as the Basic role.
- To add or update the role, select another role from the menu.
- Click Save changes.
06 Looking up a role to associate/disassociate teammates from the role
You can add or remove a role for a teammate in the Users tab in the Role Information page. Here’s how to do it.
Step 1 : View the list of users that have this role
- Click the Users tab.
The tab shows the list of users with this role.
Step 2 : Add/remove the user from the role
- To remove a user, click X Disassociate role in the row for that teammate.
The teammate is added to the list in the User tab.
Once this change is saved, the teammate’s role will be the Basic role.
- To add a teammate, click + Associate role with User.
A menu showing a list of Users is displayed. These are all your teammates, including teammates that already have user roles assigned.
- Click on a User on the menu.
The teammate is removed from the list.
- Repeat the add/remove steps until you have added or removed all the teammates from this role.
- Click Save Changes to save the changes to the User list (or Cancel to return to the previous page without saving).
Want to move beyond standard roles? Learn how to custom roles that are unique to your business