Email forwarding is the most straightforward eDesk receiving mode and will allow you to automatically forward emails to your eDesk account.
This help file will guide you through forwarding through a provider other than Gmail, Outlook and Yahoo.
Before you start
- You’ll need an Admin login to eDesk. If you don’t have an Admin login, you can request one from an Admin user within your business.
01 Copy your eDesk email address
To enable your eDesk Mailbox to receive all emails that customers send to your support email address, eDesk will autogenerate an eDesk email address for your Mailbox, and then you'll instruct your email provider to forward emails to this autogenerated email address. The autogenerated email address will look a bit strange, e.g., email@example.com, but don't worry, this is only used by eDesk and your customers won't ever see this email address.
Start by copying your eDesk email address:
- Follow the steps in section 01 of this help file, which shows you how to install an app for an email address. You'll need to select the Email tile.
- When you reach the page titled Let's connect your support email to eDesk, select Copy. This copies the email that eDesk has autogenerated for you.
02 Add a forwarding address for your support email address
Now, you'll instruct the email provider (for your support email address) to forward all emails to your eDesk email address. Follow the instructions below:
- Open the email provider that you use for your support email address. If you usually login to your email in a web browser, then do so in a new browser tab, as you'll need to keep the eDesk screen open and return to it later to complete this setup.
- Please note that the following steps are generic and may vary depending on the email provider you use. If you’re not sure how to set up a forwarding address for your email provider, it’s best to Google the instructions or check with your email provider directly; they’ll be able to assist you with this.
In the Settings for your support email, there is usually a Forwarding section.
Follow the instructions on screen to set up email forwarding to the eDesk email address that you copied in section 01 of this help file. You can paste the eDesk email address into the destination email address field by selecting the field and then using the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+v on a Windows computer, or Cmd+v on a Mac.
- Save and if necessary, enable this new email forwarding.
03 Enter your support email address
- Now return to the eDesk screen in your previous browser tab. Type your support email address into the field in step 3 on screen. E.g. firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Select the I have done this, Next step button.
- eDesk will now check to ensure it can receive emails forwarded from your support email address.
- If mail forwarding is successfully set up, you'll get a confirmation message. Well done!
- If mail forwarding hasn't been successful, you'll see the following screen and you'll need to use your cursor to select the eDesk email address (in the example below, this is email@example.com) and copy it again by using the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+c on a Windows computer, or Cmd+c on a Mac.
Then repeat the steps in section 02 of this help file. Once you've done that, return to this eDesk screen and select Try again. If you continue to be unsuccessful, contact eDesk support and we'll work on it with you.
Once your email forwarding has been set up successfully, all the emails that your support email address receives will be automatically forwarded to your eDesk and appear in your Mailbox.
If you'd like to find out more about Outlook Forwarding with eDesk, click here.
If you're interested in learning more about Gmail Forwarding with eDesk, click here.