Email forwarding will allow you to automatically forward emails from your support email address to your eDesk account.
This help file will show you how you can set up mail forwarding using the same email address in eDesk.
Before you start
- You’ll need an Admin login to eDesk. If you don’t have an Admin login, you can request one from an Admin user within your business.
Email Forwarding Error Message
Example: you already linked your email address in eDesk to import all your support tickets in your account but this same email address is also being used for another one of your channels (Walmart for example).
When trying to set up mail forwarding for Walmart, if you enter that same email address you will receive an error message in eDesk as you cannot use the same email address twice.
Ideally, you could create a new support email address for your Walmart support queries. That way, when adding these platforms to eDesk, you won’t be using the same email address and your tickets will get imported just fine.
If you can’t do this, we have a workaround available to help you!
01 Adding +1 to your existing support email address
- If using Gmail: you don’t need to worry about this step if you’re mail forwarding from Gmail, select No, I want to use the same address anyway.
- If using any other provider (Outlook, Yahoo etc.): If you received an error message stating you cannot add this email address as it’s already in use in eDesk, simply follow the instructions below:
Go to Settings → Channels.
Select the channel currently using this support email address.
Select the Mailbox tab and scroll down to Email address (just below Receiving mode).
After that, simply add +1 at the end of the email address.
Scroll down and Save Changes.
Adding the +1 will allow you to bypass the restriction and you will then be able to add your Walmart channel to eDesk. Also, the existing connection with your email channel now using +1 will remain intact.
02 Dealing with duplicate emails
After connecting two channels with the same email address, you will however see duplicates within your eDesk account (as the emails will get imported twice).
To help with this, there are two options available:
- Creating a filter to only import specific emails into eDesk.
- Creating a message rule in eDesk to automatically close non-Walmart duplicate emails for your Walmart channel.
To do this, simply follow the instructions on-screen.
Go to Settings → Message Rules.
Click on + Add Message Rule.
Give your Rule a name, for example ‘Close duplicate emails’.
In the Conditions, set it to IF Ticket Marketplace is any of these Walmart AND Customer email does not contain walmart
Scroll down to Change ticket status and set it to THEN Mark as Resolved.
This way, your Walmart channel in eDesk will only keep Walmart-related queries open whilst the others will be automatically closed.
Note: in this help file, we’re following the example of the same email address used for Walmart but it can be for any channel of your choice (Shopify, Etsy, Wix etc.)
Still experiencing issues?
Don't hesitate to contact our Support Team for help!